Update 01-24-22 RESEARCH and Pebble Go

 


“Google' is not a synonym for 'research'.”
― Dan Brown, The Lost Symbol


Google it! 

We are certainly all guilty of seeking out Google for everything from recipes to the latest weather report (come on snow!). As I work in my electives and throughout classrooms, I find that students are very much the same.  Don't know the answer? Google it!   

Now, do not get me wrong with the meaning of this post...I am not by any means saying that we are leading students to do that, it is just a natural response and what they are often exposed to. Google is an amazing search engine.  However, here are some of the reasons we should encourage students to seek out their information elsewhere: 

  • Google is a search engine and should not be cited as a source of information on school work. 

  • Google is profit-driven, you get results that may make the company money, not always the most relevant information. 

  • Anyone can publish anything online, you cannot rely on the results. 

  • Google gives coded computer responses to your query. It is guessing what you want to know.

I have been working with 3rd grade and created this presentation for their research project. Please feel free to make a copy and use any or all of it for your class. I am also open to joining you for any research you may be planning in the next two quarters. We have access to a lot of amazing research options and I would love to share them with your students.

Pebble Go!

And speaking of research options....our Pebble Go subscription is back.
username: underwood, password: school.
Our options are more limited this year due to cost, but hopefully, students will find it useful.

Black History Month Resource

iThis read-aloud selection is embedded in a February Choice Board I found and revised for my elective. I attempted to narrow editable items to only WCPSS approved resources when compared to the original version. However, be advised there are websites that link directly to Youtube/other online venues. It was too good of a resource to pass up but monitor items you provide to students directly. Hope you find it useful.


Credit: Miller, S. M. (2022, January 22). The Library Voice: It’s Time For Our February Choice Board! You Will Find TWO Versions This Month & the Links For Both Here, Friends. The Library Voice. https://vanmeterlibraryvoice.blogspot.com/2022/01/its-time-for-our-february-choice-board.html


~Star


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8.30.21